How to Visit
Whether you're a first-time museum visitor or a life-long member of the Kemper, here are some tips to help you make the most of your visit.
When you arrive:
Are you carrying a backpack, umbrella, shopping bag, or any bag bigger than 11 x 15 x 6 inches? Please read our bag policy to determine if your bag is allowed. Stow your bags and packages in our coat closet located new the information desk in the Museum Atrium. Check in at the information desk to inquire about special exhibitions, memberships, pick up a museum maps, and find out about activities and tours for the day.
During your visit
- Please don't touch the art! Even the lightest touch can damage a work of art. Your great-great-grandchildren will thank you.
- We do not allow food or drink in the galleries. We do have drinking fountains available near the restrooms.
- Non-flash photography is permitted for personal, noncommercial use except where noted. Flash photography, videography and the use of tripods are not permitted.
- Feel free to text, tweet or listen to audio tours during your visit. For the best service, connect to our free Wi-Fi during your visit. Remember to tag @kempermuseum on Twitter and Instagram so we can enjoy your visit along with you. We may even share it!
- As a courtesy to other visitors, we ask that you please set your phone to vibrate and take all calls outside of the galleries.
- We love kids and kids love the Kemper! Strollers are welcome in practically all areas of the Museum. Special exhibitions may suggest alternatives if space is limited. Please note that we do not allow child harnesses / leashes in the galleries. Visit our Kids & Families page to see if your visit coincides with one of our outstanding programs designed specifically for children and families.
- The Kemper welcomes all visitors and strives to be accessible to everyone.
- Feeling inspired by the art? Feel free to sketch with pencil in notebooks 11 x 14 inches or smaller. Colored pencils and ink pens are not allowed in the galleries, except in designated areas.
- Have you lost something? Check with our information desk to see if your item may have been turned in or call 816-753-5784.
- In the Kemper Museum galleries, only bags/purses less than 11 x 15 x 6 inches (carried by either men or women) are allowed with no restrictions.
- Medical and diaper bags are permitted in the galleries, but must be held close to your body at all times.
- Kemper Museum Shop bags are allowed in the galleries.
- The following types of bags are never permitted in galleries and must be stored in lockers or left in your vehicle:
- Backpack purses
- Purses/bags larger than 11 x 15 x 6 inches (except for medical or diaper bags noted above)
- A purse or bag of any size worn on the back
- Camera bags
- Wi-Fi is free throughout the Museum.
- Coats may be stored in the unattended coat closet near the information desk.
- Lockers are located incoat closet.
- Drinking fountains are located near the restrooms.
- The first aid assitance is available throughout the Museum (inquire with a Museum Protection Officer or information desk staff member for assistance).
- Bicycle racks are in the Northwest corner of the Museum parking lot.
- Wheelchairs are available free of charge at coat check on Floor 1.
- Restrooms are located in the Museum Atrium.
- Photography must be conducted without disruption to Museum operations or limitation to the accessibility of exhibitions, entrances/exits, doorways, and high traffic areas.
- To help us preserve the outdoor sculptures, entering, climbing, or standing on any water features or fountains is prohibited; do not climb, lean or sit on any artworks. Do not place props or equipment on the sculptures.
- Flash photography, tripods, and other photographic equipment are not permitted in the Museum without advance permission.
- Photography is permitted for private, noncommercial use only. Photographs may not be published, sold, reproduced, distributed, or otherwise commercially exploited in any manner.
- Unless otherwise noted, photography of temporary exhibition or borrowed works of art is not permitted.
Sketching in the galleries
- Visitors are welcome to sketch in the Kemper Museum galleries using a pencil. Paper or sketchbooks should not exceed 11 x 14 inches.
- We ask that individuals be considerate of the flow of visitor traffic through the galleries while sketching. Please note that the Sketching Policy may be adjusted as necessary, such as during periods of high attendance in the galleries, or with regard to special exhibition policies. Individuals may be subject to further direction from Museum Security staff.