Why support the work of Kemper Museum?
Kemper Museum demonstrates how the art and artists of our time spark inspiration and deepen understanding of the world around us.
Your support ensures access to world-class exhibitions of contemporary art, education programs for all ages, school tours and transportation cost reimbursement, opportunities to engage with artists, and quality digital content available everywhere. As always, there is no admission charge to experience Kemper Museum, one of Kansas City’s only entirely free cultural institutions. We could not do it without you!
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Kemper Museum’s physical buildings are currently closed for an undetermined amount of time. While we hope to open our doors again soon, we are very aware that visitors to a museum could be put at risk unnecessarily, therefore we will err on the side of utmost caution by keeping closed in this way. We are monitoring the situation daily and will announce the re-opening as soon as it is safe to do so. In the meantime, digital access has always been our public responsibility, and we are expanding our exhibition programs, educational initiatives, and other services online (all available at kemperart.org/virtual-exploration).
The Museum’s financial position is stable, and even though we have responsibly and carefully stewarded treasured donations, we are anticipating a substantial loss in our earned income channels, namely revenue from Café Sébastienne, special event rentals, and the Museum Shop, which account for more than one-third of our annual income. We are, therefore, making drastic reductions in spending through the remainder of the year in order to conserve funds for our reopening and other necessary public activities.
Naturally, we have expanded our search for new resources. To that end, we are relieved to report the Museum was recently successful in tapping emergency funds made available through the U.S. Government’s Small Business Administration for the protection of museum employee wages, utilities, and other costs. Additionally, our development team is busy applying for every known grant opportunity. We’d love to hear your suggestions, as they may expand on what we are already pursuing.
That said, your generosity is more important this year than ever. We completely understand that with the current global viral pandemic, there is more need for private benevolence than ever before, and therefore we only ask that you place the museum on your list of significant public institutions to support. We are thankful and grateful for your generosity and kindness!
Your commitment will ensure the Museum continues to inspire people through digital programming while we wait to reopen. We will be stronger than ever when it is safe to gather again. Please know that while we serve your artistic, cultural, and intellectual needs, we also hold your safety and good health dear to our hearts.
- Kemper Museum contributes to the high quality of life of those who live and work in the Greater Kansas City area. There is never a charge to experience Kansas City’s contemporary art museum.
- Kemper Museum is a 501c3 non-profit public charity, and an important part of the civic fabric of Kansas City.
- The Permanent Collection has grown from 300 works of art to more than 1,400 and is accessible online.
- Last year 77,306 people visited including 15,701 people who participated in 19 varieties of free educational programs numbering more than 800 sessions, including 3,913 students who benefitted from a generous transportation cost-reimbursement program.
- Online and Social Media reach: more than 131,000 annual visits to kemperart.org; 48k+ follow Kemper Museum on Facebook; 20k+ follow the Museum on Twitter; 17k+ follow the Museum on Instagram.